After weeks intensely focused on getting ourselves and Velic ready, of working our way down seemingly unending task lists ticking off projects, shamelessly enlisting the help of friends and family members, trying to stay patient with each other, and reminding ourselves that we WANT to do this, here we are in Astoria at last, pretty much set to go … and waiting.
When we had office jobs there were projects that had schedules and delivery dates. This project has an overall schedule, sort of, and what you could think of as a delivery date – the date we actually cross the Columbia River bar and head south would qualify. But there’s a difference between office-based projects with human schedules and deadlines and this one: This one depends on the macro weather patterns more than on us. And we have no control over weather. Weather is not something you can nag or cajole. And the weather has turned against us, at least for the next few days; meaning winds from the south, precisely the direction we want to go to get to San Francisco. So here we are, waiting in Astoria…. Not a bad place to wait, if you have to; good coffee, good seafood, iffy Wi-Fi.
But to backtrack in time a bit: We left our slip at Rose City Yacht Club in the afternoon Thursday, Sept. 10. The boat’s deck was a bit cluttered and the cabin below had stuff piled on every surface, but we were OFF! We motored downriver against a light west wind, making a short trip to tie up at St. Helens, OR, for the night. Friends on Envoy joined us for the last part of the trip and hosted dinner aboard their boat – fresh-caught salmon and good company: We were happy to be away at last, and very happy to spend the evening with friends.
We arrived in the Port of Astoria’s West Basin marina on Friday afternoon (today is Tuesday). Since then, we’ve restored order to the chaos above and below decks, and completed some final small projects. Friends have been visiting over the past few days, some bringing special projects they had done for us, some bringing their willing hands. We’ve enjoyed seeing everyone who’s been able to come.
It’s especially sweet to see people knowing that we aren’t sure when or where we’ll meet next. I keep telling myself this is a big trip, but it’s defined and has a (somewhat flexible) schedule. We’ll get to hug loved ones again. We’re planning to go far, but not forever. And technology will help us to stay connected with people.
So here we are, watching the weather and waiting for nature to give us a break. As of this afternoon, it looks as though there will be a return to favorable northwesterly winds, perhaps as early as Sunday. Nature has her own schedule, and we adapt.